Dental Fillings in Forked River
When you have a dental emergency involving a cracked, chipped, worn down, decayed, or broken tooth, Sam Khammar DDS may recommend dental fillings to restore the tooth to its full health and function. Fillings provide a simple and cost effective way to repair minor cases of tooth damage.
Modern fillings are made using composite (tooth-colored) material, which offers multiple benefits, including:
- Ability to closely match the filling material to the shade of adjacent teeth
- Direct fillings, which means they can be placed in a single appointment
- Aesthetically suited for the restoration of front teeth or more visible areas for your confidence
- Support and preservation of the remaining tooth structure as composites bond to the tooth, insulating the tooth from extreme temperature changes and breakage.
- Durability, so you can be assured of a long-lasting beautiful smile
Compared to metal fillings such as gold and metal alloys, tooth-colored composite resin fillings are more aesthetic in appearance. Made from a plastic and glass mixture, composite resins can be customized to have the same appearance as your tooth enamel, giving you a natural tooth repair solution that is virtually unnoticeable.
What to expect
Dental fillings are placed in a single appointment. The affected tooth is first numbed so the decay can be removed and the cavity cleaned. If there’s no decay, the damaged area of the tooth is thoroughly cleaned and prepared before placing the new filling. Usually, the damage to the tooth is not deep enough to reach the tooth nerve, but if it does, a special medication has to be applied for extra protection.
When all preparations are done, the filling material is precisely placed, shaped, and polished, successfully restoring your tooth to its original form and function. Following the procedure, it is common to experience some sensitivity to hot and cold foods, but it should subside as the tooth acclimates to the filling.
Proper oral hygiene, good eating habits, and regular dental check-ups will help to prolong the life of your new composite filling.
Are you a candidate for dental fillings?
Dr. Khammar in Forked River, NJ, may recommend tooth-colored fillings to reconstruct various dental problems, including:
- Severely worn teeth or eroded enamel surfaces due to grinding, nail biting, etc.
- Visible chips and cracks
- Visible holes or dark stains on the teeth
- Sensitivity to cold and hot food items
Please call our office to schedule your consultation for a personalized treatment plan.